QSO 300 Final Project Milestone One Guidelines and Rubric
Prompt: For the first milestone of your final project, you will submit a managing operations case study analysis that uses the tools and techniques that operations managers use. This case study analysis will be incorporated into the final summative analysis. This milestone is due in Module Two.
Refer to the case study (located in the Reading and Resources area of Module One), your own independent research, and the course materials to complete this
milestone. Specifically, the following critical elements must be addressed:
- Evaluate how the company in the case study uses operations management functions to provide products and generate value for its customers. Support your claims with examples from the case study or outside sources.
- Assess how this company achieves a competitive advantage using operations management. Provide examples found in the case study or outside sources to support your reasoning.
- Compare and contrast service operations and manufacturing operations at the company in the case study. How are they the same? How do they differ? How does each of these operations provide value for their customers?
Theories and Techniques
- Compare and contrast the critical path method (CPM) and the program evaluation and review technique (PERT). What types of projects at this company would favor PERT over CPM? Why? What types of projects at this company would favor CPM over PERT? Why?
- Explain the steps used to develop a forecasting system. How would these steps be specifically utilized by this company? What do you predict would be the result of implementing a forecasting system for the top-selling product line at this company?
- List the major categories of supply chain risk and associated risk reduction tactics. How could the company mitigate exposure to supply chain disruptions caused by natural disasters? For example, consider the 2011 earthquake and tsunami that devastated parts of Japan.
Guidelines for Submission:
The format for this assignment will be a Word document using a business writing format of your choice. There is no minimum page
If you used a program such as Excel to complete any of
length requirement, but the submission should be double spaced, and no more than four pages in total.
the assignment, copy and paste this into your Word document for submission. You may also include your original document from another program as supplementary material if you believe this will strengthen your contribution.
|Critical Elements||Proficient (100%)||Needs Improvement (75%)||Not Evident (0%)||Value|
|Generating Value: Functions||Evaluates how the company in the case study uses OM functions to provide products to customers and generate value both for customers and the firm||Evaluates how the company in the case study uses OM functions to provide products to customers but does not describe how OM functions generate
value for the customer or firm
|Does not evaluate how the company in the case study uses OM functions to provide products to customers||15|
|Generating Value: Competitive
|Accurately assesses how the company
in the case study achieves a competitive advantage using OM and provides
|Assesses how the company in the case study achieves a competitive advantage using OM but assessment is inaccurate
or does not provide support
|Does not assess how the company in the case study achieves a competitive advantage using OM||15|
|Generating Value: Compare
|Compares and contrasts service and manufacturing operations and includes how each operation provides value for
|Compares and contrasts service and manufacturing operations but does not include how each operation provides
value for its customers
|Does not compare and contrast service and manufacturing operations||15|
|Theories and Techniques: Compare and
|Compares and contrasts CPM and PERT and explains which projects would favor each technique||Compares and contrasts CPM and PERT but does not explain which projects would favor each technique||Does not compare and contrast CPM and PERT||15|
|Theories and Techniques: Forecasting System||Accurately describes the steps used to develop a forecasting system and predicts the results of using a
forecasting system in the context of the
|Accurately describes the steps used to develop a forecasting system but does not predict the results of using a forecasting system in the context of the
|Does not describe the steps used to develop a forecasting system or description is inaccurate||15|
|Theories and Techniques: Supply Chain Risk||Correctly lists the major categories of supply chain risks and associated risk- reduction tactics and explains how the company could avoid exposure to supply chain disruptions||Correctly lists the major categories of supply chain risks, but does not accurately identify associated risk- reduction tactics or explain how the company could avoid exposure to
supply chain disruptions
|Does not list the major categories of supply chain risks and associated risk- reduction tactics or list and associated risks are incorrect||15|
|Articulation of Response||Submission has no major errors related to citations, grammar, spelling, syntax, or organization||Submission has major errors related to citations, grammar, spelling, syntax, or organization that negatively impact readability and articulation of main
|Submission has critical errors related to citations, grammar, spelling, syntax, or organization that prevent
understanding of ideas